What We Do
CHILDREN & YOUTH
PLANTING AND PLAYING GARDEN ARTS PROGRAM
Join us as we grow our own green! We’ll beautify the block planting sunflowers, build tiny terrariums, create mosaics-u-make, cook sweet and tasty treats, bike giveaways, community art totems and wild water ballooning! Nutritious box lunches will be served.
Saturdays: June 26 – August 21 10:00 am – 12:00 pm (Space is limited)
Please sign up here.
YOUTH BOXING CLASSES:
Sunday: June 27 – August 22 10:00 am – 12:00 pm (Space is limited)
- Lead by Master Gardener Seneca Kern, we will create natural butterfly habitats for the community and the home, seeding, and foraging in the urban landscape, fairy gardens in our big box for kids, and making nature paper from scratch.
- South Merrill Community Garden’s favorite art teacher Rhonda Gray will help the kids create powerful self-portraits of peaceful protest art.
- Our garden chefs will teach the kids how to prepare, savory, sweet and healthy meals from the garden. We’ll also tour South Shore’s own Nature Conservancy and habitat.
- For each session, a vegan boxed lunch per day, no nuts or soy will be served to camp participants. We’ll social distance and follow CDC guidelines for best practices during COVID-19. Our capacity for classes is eight kids per each session, first come first served.
No cost for program. Please sign up here letting us know which program your child will attend. If you have any questions please contact email@example.com
SENIORS – SELF CARE MORNINGS
Our Seniors Self Care Mornings provide a safe garden experience for the community. Butterfly gardens, hummingbird feeders, herbal medicine wheel, and edible flowers are just a few of the delights we have created for you – as you get your groove on!!
June 22: LINE DANCING WITH GEORGIA 10:00 – 11:00 A.M.
JULY 27: CHAIR EXERCISE 10:00 – 11:00 A.M.
AUGUST 24: BRUNCH & BLUES 11:00 – 12:00 PM
SEPTEMBER 28: SENIOR FALL FESTIVAL 10:00 – 1:00 PM
Please sign up here.
BENEFITS OF GARDENING FOR SENIORS
- Lowers stress
- Increases Serotonin (chemical in the brain increases calmness and peace
- Boosts Heart Health/Reduces Risk of Stroke
- Increases Mobility (productive way of rebuilding strength and mobility following a stroke , keeps lesser used muscles engaged
- May Boost Brain Health
BENEFITS OF MEDITATION FOR SENIORS
Outdoor meditation will change your life. Over 600 research studies conducted on meditation agree that it has the power to improve mental health, from depression to schizophrenia to PTSD and ADHD. By practicing this healing art outdoors and harnessing the additional power of mindfulness that nature tends to provide, you can expect a tremendous boost to your mental health.
ART THERAPY – FAMILY PROGRAM – All ages are welcomed
ART ON THE ROCKS ON MERRILL!
JOIN US! in the Garden to show off your creativity and have some fun!
We will colorfully paint large rocks that will be place throughout the Garden. All paint supplies will be provided
JULY Schedule – Wednesdays, Fridays, and every 1st and 4th Saturdays (10 a.m. – 1 p.m)
AUGUST Schedule – Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and every 1st and 4th Saturdays (10 a.m. – 1 p.m)
If you are interested in helping with this art/beautification project, contact please sign up here. or reach out to Heather directly
No cost for program
Heather L. Burnside
Facebook: Please tag username “Burnside Heather” along with date(s) and time(s) on the garden’s FB page, https://www.facebook.com/groups/301500169983305, or through FB Messenger
Email Address: HLBurnside12@gmail.com
***Depending on weather conditions and/or scheduling conflicts, painting days and times will be rescheduled.
Due to COVID-19 precautions, South Merrill Community Garden will comply with the CDC recommended social distancing and use of face-coverings. We will also follow strict disinfecting procedures before and after use of tools and supplies.